Monday, May 3, 2010

Comedians and Mother's Day

I got sucked in... after being entertained by my friend Jamie Berry's blog, about training for the Ascent and adopting orphans from Ethiopia, I have decided to start my own. No, I do not plan on adopting any time soon, but I am training for the Ascent (which blows to run outside right now since Colorado weather cannot choose between summer or the Arctic).

Had a long weekend of high school musicals, planning and failing Crud Wars for YoungLife (due to snow), experiencing IEmpathize on Saturday night at the World Prayer Center, and napping so long yesterday that it felt like a coma.

I recently watched Paper Heart, with Michael Cera and the stoner girlfriend from Knocked Up, and realized 1) how I could never live in California, 2) that I wish someday that I could thrive as a comedian and 3) that I don't laugh enough, usually the one being laughed at.

I seriously miss comedy central stand up night (since cable is a luxury as a social worker), and laughing at hilarious people. I need to find more of those people in my life. Being a comedian would be intimidating, since I hate being put on the spot and making people laugh on command. But I wouldn't mind marrying one.

Mother's Day is Sunday, which is always fun. My mom always says "Don't buy me a card, save three dollars and add it to my gift!" It makes sense financially, or if you just sign the card that says "Happy Mother's Day"... "yeah that sounds like somethin I would say... Love, Kate". But, I'm more gushy, so I buy the card. Usually one that is completely unrelated, like "Congratulations on the new job" or "Get well soon" or the Ebonic collection from Hallmark. Then I'll write a little something that will probably distract her from the fact that the card was in the 99 cent section, and maybe it makes her tear up a little. Point of this story: Every card I've given her has made it to the refrigerator and it stays up there for at least 6 months.
Also, I stopped buying my mom mother's day gifts since she seems to be a hoarder sometimes (crazy crap all over the wall), and someday in the next 30 years when I bring home my fiance to meet the parents, I would like to not be embarrassed by all the crap my mom keeps buying (or stealing from the lost and found at her catholic elementary school... you don't know how many youth size clothing she's tried to pawn off to me). So cards it is!

I did find a sweet way to send the love last year on Father's day through the Mocha Club (mochaclub.org) and they're doing it again for Mother's Day. You basically partner with Mocha club and sponsor a group of your choosing (orphans, widows, dads, etc) in Africa, then give a gift to that group in the name of your mom or dad. Pretty sweet, and way better than a tie or a bottle of cologne that my dad doesn't need.








2 Comments:

At May 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Katy!
So pumped that you've joined the club :)....
Happy Blogging!!!
Holly

 
At May 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Jamie and Misty Berry said...

Can't wait to read more! Perhaps you guest blog for us soon! Lets do a run soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home